Hazardous Materials

​​Regulatory Highlights

Applies to:

  • Anyone having on site, for any reason, reportable quantities (equal to or greater than 55 gallons, 500 pounds, 200 cubic feet) of hazardous materials
  • Anyone having an underground storage tank (UST)
  • Anyone storing more than 1320 gallons of petroleum products above ground storage tanks (AST) or 55 gallon drums
  • Anyone with threshold quantities of regulated substances (formerly known as acutely hazardous materials)

What you must do:

  1. Obtain a permit (renewed annually) for hazardous materials storage, USTs, ASTs or the California Accidental Release Prevention Program
  2. Properly store and manage hazardous materials, USTs and/or ASTs
  3. Undergo triennial inspections for hazardous materials and AST requirements; annual inspections for USTs​​​​ 

​​​​​​Primary Regulatory Agencies


​​County of Sacramento Environmental Management Department
Hazardous Materials Division (HMD)
10590 Armstrong Ave., Mather, CA 95670
Phone: (916) 875-8550


Hazardous materials:
California's Office of Emergency Services (OES)
Phone: (916) 845-8798

​​Proposition 65:
California's Office of Environmental Health & Hazard Assessment
Phone: (916) 445-6900

State of California’s Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
Phone: (916) 341-5752

​​California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA)
Unified Program
Phone: (916) 327-5092


​US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA)
Phone: (800) 424-9346



The California Accidental Release Prevention Program (Cal ARP) is a state and federal program that seeks to prevent catastrophic accidents associated with the handling of certain hazardous materials (previously called acutely hazardous materials).

The HMD implements the Cal ARP program.


The program applies to facilities handling minimum thresholds of regulated substances.

Thresholds for the substances regulated by this program vary widely. Consult the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) web site for legal citations, program updates and lists of regulated substances and thresholds at:http://www.calema.ca.gov/HazardousMaterials/Pages/Accidental-Release-Prevention-(CalARP).aspx.


Regulated facilities must gain an additional HMD permit and do additional off-site risk assessments, release consequence analysis and emergency planning by creating a Risk Management Plan (RMP).

The Cal ARP permitting and RMP requirements must be completed prior to beginning operations and may impact the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy for new businesses or for new processes.

​The Cal ARP permitting process can be quite complex, expensive, and difficult to complete. For example, the process of preparing an RMP and obtaining a regulatory completeness review can take many months to over a year.

It is essential that you confirm the specific materials and quantities you will be using at your facility to determine Cal ARP applicability. Keep in mind that it may be a very prudent business practice to stay below threshold limits and, therefore, out of the regulatory purview of this program.