Stormwater Regulation

​​​​​​Regulatory Highlights

Applies to:

  1. Any activities or conditions creating, or potentially creating, discharges of pollutants (anything other than pure rainwater) to the storm drain system
  2. Discharges of pollutants or wastes bearing pollutants into or affecting surface waters

What you must do:

  1. All facilities, construction sites and persons must prevent discharge of pollutants to the stormwater system.
  2. Gain coverage under the state's Industrial General Stormwater Permit for businesses involved with manufacturing, mining, concrete production, transportation (if fueling or maintenance is performed on-site), auto wrecking, recycling, scrap, hazardous waste storage and treatment facilities, and other activities specified in the Industrial General Permit
  3. Gain coverage under the state's Construction General Permit for construction activities disturbing greater or equal to one acre of soil (or as part of a larger development project disturbing greater or equal to one acre)
  4. Businesses engaged in construction activities must obtain grading and erosion control permits and approval from local agencies of jurisdiction
  5. Undergo routine local agency inspections for stormwater management requirements at these types of businesses in Sacramento County
    • ​Auto repair and auto body shops
    • Auto sales, lease and rental dealerships
    • Gas stations
    • Restaurants
    • Nurseries
    • Kennels
    • Equipment rental businesses
    • Any business requiring coverage under the state's General Industrial Stormwater Permit
    • Any site requiring coverage under the state's Construction Permit
  6. Obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit for discharges of pollutants into or affecting surface water
  7. Obtain Waste Discharge Requirements (WDRs) for waste discharges made to land or that impact groundwater

Primary Regulatory Agencies:


Sacramento Stormwater Quality Partnership (​) comprised of these agencies:

County of Sacramento Department of Water Resources
827 7th Street , Room 301
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 874-6851 or (916) 875-RAIN to report illegal discharges stormwater)


City of Sacramento Stormwater​​ Management Program
1395 35th Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95822
(916) 808-1400 or (916) 808-4H20 (4426)​​

 City of Citrus Heights: (916) 727-4770 or​

City of Elk Grove: (916) 478-2263 or

City of Folsom: (916) 355-7272 or

City of Galt: (209) 366-7260 or


City of Rancho Cordova: (916) 874-6851 or

County of Sacramento Environmental Management Department Water Protection Division
10590 Armstrong Avenue, Suite B
Mather, CA 95655-4153
(916) 875-8440


State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
(916) 341-5536 or​ ​

Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB)
(916) 464-3291 or​​


US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
(800) 424-9346 or