Wastewater Regulation

​​​​What is Wastewater?

​Wastewater is the liquid or liquid-borne waste discharge from any facility, building, or dwelling that enters a sewer system. Wastewater generates from both domestic and non-domestic sources. Domestic wastewater is the wastewater generated by households and from the kitchens and bathrooms of commercial or industrial facilities. Non-domestic wastewater is the wastewater generated from any other source such as industrial processes or operations.

​​​​Regulatory Highlights

Applies to:

Wastewater discharge into the sewer system (excluding domestic wastewater such as wastewater from restrooms and lunchroom facilities) from any stationary business

  • Wastewater discharge into the sewer system from mobile businesses including pressure washers/surface cleaners and liquid waste haulers
  • Businesses with sumps containing waste that is pumped out by a non-hazardous liquid waste hauler for eventual discharge to the sewer system

​What you must do:

  1. All businesses in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County and the cities of Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, and Sacramento must file a Sewer Use Questionnaire (SUQ)​ with Sacramento County Department of Water Quality (applies to all discharges except for domestic wastewater such as that from restrooms and lunchrooms)
  2. Obtain a wastewater discharge permit for:
    • ​Process wastewater discharges of more than 25,000 gallons per day (excludes domestic water)
    • ​Process wastewater discharges exceeding 37.5 lbs. per day of total suspended solids (TSS) or wastewater strength as measured by biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)​ (excluding domestic wastewater)
    • ​​​​​​Any business falling into industries designated at the federal level as "categorical users"
    • ​Wastewater discharges from liquid waste haulers, pressure washers, surface cleaners and other mobile business operations
    • ​Dry cleaning wastewater discharges
    • ​Groundwater remediation projects discharging wastewater
    • ​Wastewater discharges that contain significant amounts of heavy metals including but not limited to arsenic, cadmium, copper, lead, mercury, nickel, silver, chromium and zinc
    • ​​​​Any wastewater discharges containing a "pollutant of concern" or determined to be of a "special nature" as determined by the local sewer district
  3. Obtain approval, by submission of construction plans, for sewage disposal system design or modification involving access to the sewer system
  4. Pay sewer impact fees for new connections made to the sewer system (or for significant use changes)
  5. Follow federal pretreatment standards before discharging wastewater to the sewer if business falls into industries designated at the federal level as "categorical users"
  6. Obtain a sump waste permit for sump waste disposed of to the sewer through a non-hazardous waste hauler or septage hauler
  7. Obtain a temporary wastewater discharge permit for one-time or non-routine wastewater discharges to the sewer system

Primary Regulatory Agencies:​​​​​


In the unincorporated area of Sacramento County and the cities of Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, and Rancho Cordova:

​​Regional San


Industrial Permits:

(Including the cities of Folsom, Sacramento, Galt & Isleton)

Wastewater Source Control Section
(916) 875-6470
10060 Goethe Road
Sacramento, CA 95827

Sewer Access Fees/Permits:

Permit Services Unit
(916) 876-6100
10060 Goethe Road
Sacramento, CA 95827

In the City of Sacramento:
​City of Sacramento Utilities Department​
(916) 808-5371

In the City of Folsom:
City of Folsom Utilities Department
(916) 355-8324

In the City of Galt:
City of Galt Public Works Department
(209) 366-7260

In the City of Isleton:
​City of Isleton
(916) 777-7770


US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Office of Wastewater Management
(202) 564-9545 or - 4203M
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 2046